Autel Support Communities
Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostic & Analysis System > MaxiSys Elite > '03 Mercedes R230 (SL55) SRS programming
'03 Mercedes R230 (SL55) SRS programming

2704 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: 2017-02-28 17:16:32

•   Level 2   
    (14) points
    Pimp-Boy
    2017-02-18 07:37:41

I work on Mercedes on/off. One of the question I have before purchasing this tool is whether the Maxisys Elite supports programming the SRS control module for an '03 Mercedes R230 SL55. Vehicle was built in March '03. I have to possibly replace the SRS module with either a new one or a used one as it is faulty.

Thanks for your help. 

•   Level 2   
    (14) points
    Pimp-Boy
    2017-02-20 05:13:53 (Reply to:Pimp-Boy)

Anyone can help me that has used the Elite for SRS programming specific to this model year? Autel Support??

Appreciate your help. This will help me in my decision to purchase or not or if you have any other feedback.

•   Level 4   
    (153) points
    Emmanuel89

2017-02-27 14:33:10 (Reply to:Pimp-Boy)

From my understanding the elite can program just about any module specific to Benz and BMW

You can try clearing DTC's first to see if you have any pending codes, if you clear the codes and they return that means you still have an airbag component that is still deployed and needs to be corrected first. No codes with a light still on - the module needs to be replaced it's locked.

Another thing to note, the SRS programming is only to flash-update the module or write the info if it's blank (new). If that car has been in an accident before, the module may be locked and programming it won't do anything, When deployment is triggered a chip inside the module gets damaged, some guys take it apart and re-solder the existing chip. I also see a lot of guys send those airbag modules off to repair too.

At that point it's just better to replace it than to repair it since it's a safety liability.

•   Level 2   
    (14) points
    Pimp-Boy
    2017-02-28 00:52:12 (Reply to:Emmanuel89)

Thanks Emmanuel89. I'm planning on replacing the SRS module as it has a B1000 code on it. Tried clearing it, but it just comes back.. The code is basically a bad module. Vehicle was never in an accident.

I'm planning on replacing the module with a new one, but will need to code the VIN onto it. Wasn't sure if the Elite had the capability with this model year. This is one of the incentives of buying the Elite for future projects or not. But, Autel Support seems to be minimal to none on this support forum and that causes me great concern.

I'm curious about what you said in regards to buying a "used" module and sending it in for reset. I'm assuming the module is hard coded with the original VIN. Some people say as long as you get another one that is the same year, manufacturer, and/or options, it should be plug and play assuming hasn't been into an accident in which you would send it in for repair. Just wondering if it will work with the hard coded VIN... Hmmm......

•   Level 4   
    (153) points
    Emmanuel89

2017-02-28 01:24:45 (Reply to:Pimp-Boy)

So if it's a new module it is supported for 03 S230, there's a programming option for the airbag module.
    What I like is how simple it is, the promps walk you through everything ...it'll even ask you if the module was replaced.
    A used module may work 50/50 chance, I personally haven't tried it but if you can find one same year/options for a deal it's worth a shot. 
    Don't waste your time sending one off....most of the time it doesn't work. 

•   Level 2   
    (14) points
    Pimp-Boy
    2017-02-28 17:16:32 (Reply to:Emmanuel89)
     Thanks Emmanuel89 for your advice! Appreciate your help. I'll move fwd with the Elite and test it with the new airbag module to see how well it does.

Thanks again!
  Total1 Pages